SOUTHERN TRADITIONS

We've lived in Alabama for 6 months now and I'm learning more about Southern Traditions every day and wanted to share them with you as I discover them myself.  


1. The Southern tradition of painting your porch ceiling a light blue, or "haint" blue, is super interesting!  

The Gullah people, the descendants of enslaved Africans in parts of Georgia and South Carolina, were the first to bring the color to Charleston. The Gullah believed that the color deters ghosts by tricking them into thinking the ceiling is either water or the sky. The color was first used in Charleston around the early 1800s, and it continues to be popular today. Blue ceilings are also said to deter birds from nesting there and insects from buzzing around. 

When it comes time to repaint our porch, you'd better believe the ceiling will be a light blue!

https://www.today.com/home/what-haint-blue-here-s-why-southern-porches-have-blue-t115573




2. The other day I was at the Town Market and the woman behind me had a small, glass bottle of Coke- the old fashioned kind.  I thought Alan would like it so I got one too.  As we were chatting, she said she couldn't wait to get home and put her peanuts in it.  I didn't know this was even a thing!  Super cool.  Read about it here!

https://www.wideopeneats.com/peanuts-in-coca-cola/?fbclid=IwAR3UOxwTu3At5F168-ETFPJT1BKyVpZOBQ-S48g2B9x4G2Kc44HKsWy1uiU#:~:text=Peanuts%20in%20Coca-Cola%20is%20one%20of%20those%20traditions,Coke%20seems%20to%20lose%20its%20fierce%2C%20devoted%20following



Comments